Monday, August 20, 2007

PIKES PEAK MARATHON!!!

From the summit of Pikes Peak!! What a marvelous weekend!!


This weekend was pretty awesome and I ain't gonna lie! Saturday and Sunday Raleigh and I volunteered for the Pikes Peak Ascend and Marathon. Get this. The Ascend, which was ran on Saturday, is 13.32 miles long with a 7,815 ft. gain, was won by this guy below named Matt Carpenter in 2 hr. 9 min. 57 sec. Then on Sunday, the Marathon, a 26.21 up-an-back down run, was YES.....won by the same guy!!!

The aid station that we worked at was called the "Cirque Station". This was the last station before the runners reached the summit. To them, we were "heaven sent". Though we were thanked for helping them, it was truly humbling to see these sweet people achieve their goals.

Raleigh and I did the water along with several other people who handed out grapes (millions of grapes), candy, and Gu type gel. There were all types of people too. Old, young, in shape, fairly out of shape, hating life, loving it, some looked amazing, and other looked like sheer death!

As for the Cirque, it is a 1500 ft. depth off the side of the summit of Pikes Peak.

Not a bad view from the station is it?

Just for an update: I have totally been inspired to run a marathon. So I started my own training today by buying new shoes that feel like an air puff cloud (Riccara and I decided that's what it should be called) and carrying a Nalgene of water. So in my sudden struck professionalism I went for a drink of water while running, which then went up my nose, caused a seriously intense burning sensation of the nose, coughed and choked, and snotted in the midst of Colorado Ave. (a.k.a. Main Street). Mostly embarrassing and highly obvious that I did not run that race. None the less, many updates to come on the training.

No comments: