Sunday, August 12, 2007

Is there a need to say "goodbye" at the end of a phone conversation? I just don't get it. Don't like it. Feel like it's sad. No fun. Ending.

Just a great friend of mine and roommate of the past 2 years, Lauren Isenhour, hates with a passion the fact that I don't say "good-bye" when I get off the phone. For example, tonight I didn't say "bye" to her before I hung up the phone, so she called back within seconds again reminding me of her extreme dislike of this habit. Though it's not a big deal to me, I really feel like/know that she hates it and maybe should make an attempt to change my ways.

So I think that I just need outside opinions on this matter. Is "talk to you later" or "aight, be good" or "i'll holla atcha lata" acceptable? Hmmm.

Even this blog. Wouldn't it be the same if I put...

Sincerely,

Calli Edwards

...?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you know that your Mom would be your first post on this. It's always been proper to say good bye at the end of a conversation. It's not good bye forever. And lately I've noticed...."well I'm gonna get off the phone now" to be your closer.

Excuse me "Business Major".....

Anonymous said...

I can't say that it's normal not to say goodbye, but the alternatives that you listed are acceptable ends to a conversation.

It would be strange if you ended every blog post with ... Sincerely, Calli Edwards. Similarly, I think it's odd when friends or others end chat conversations with....Love, So-and-So.

It's not an email. It's like a phone conversation. You just say bye. Or some related phrase and not "Love, Me".

HeatherMichelle said...

my favorite closer in written communiques is "pitme".

in actual conversations you must say goodbye, but it doesn't have to be that word. In africa, they always say they don't say "goodbye", they say "see you later" as it does not seem so final. So, i guess whatever's good for an African is good for me...oh wait, that is so not true: I like my fish withOUT the head!